Ultimate Arctic Summer Adventure
- 4 nights at the Lazy Bear Lodge
- 2 nights in Winnipeg (pre & post stay)
- Hudson Bay Coastal Boat Tour with the opportunity to view Polar Bears and other arctic wildlife (6-8 hours)
- Beluga Whale Boat Tour/Fort Tour to see Beluga Whales in the water and walking tour of the historic Prince of Wales Fort (approximately 3 hours)
- Cultural and Heritage Tour of the Churchill area, including historic Cape Merry and an outside tour of the Polar Bear Holding Facility. (approximately 2-3 hours)
- Shuttle Service between the airport and the Lodge upon arrival and departure. Luggage handling included in Churchill
- Round-trip airfare between Winnipeg and Churchill
- Everything that is not mentioned in included
Click Book Online for 2020 & 2021 pricing!
- Rates are per-person based on double occupancy (single occupancy is available upon request)
- The Ultimate Arctic Summer Adventure is recommended for ages 12 and up
- Passport details are required a the time of booking
- Airfare is from Winnipeg to Churchill and return
- Please inquire about customizations for group or individual reservations. Customizations can include additional Winnipeg nights and/or additional tours (based on availability)
- Optional activities are available during the tour (Kayaking and AquaGliding). Please inquire at the time of booking for rates and availability
Below is a sample itinerary. The actual itinerary may vary based on weather conditions and wildlife activity.
With the Polar Bears leaving the melting sea ice heading to Churchill and 60,000 Beluga Whales filling the Hudson Bay, summer is an amazing time to visit Churchill! With 60,000 Beluga Whales filling the Hudson Bay and Polar Bears leaving the melting sea ice, summer is an amazing time to visit Churchill! Over the course of this five-day adventure, the experienced guides will take you to beautiful wild places that offer the very best opportunities to see Polar Bears, Beluga Whales, Arctic Sik-Siks, over 200 nesting or migrating bird species, seals, Arctic Hare, Arctic Fox, and more.
The guides will take you in a customized vessel certified by Transport Canada on an adventure to experience one of the more remote Polar Bear viewing areas on the west side of Hudson Bay. You will have the opportunity to view Polar Bears in their summer environment, swimming and walking around the rocks and wildflowers. Weather and wildlife permitting, you will disembark the boat to walk where Polar Bears roam.
Along the same shoreline, hundreds of Beluga Whales come to feed, mate and give birth in the warm, shallow near-coastal waters. Our Beluga Whale Boat/Fort Tour will focus on viewing the beautiful Beluga Whales in their natural habitat in the Churchill River and into the Hudson Bay area as they feed on schools of Caplin, Arctic Char and Brook Trout. We will also go ashore for a walking tour of the historic Prince of Wales Fort. AquaGliding and kayaking with the whales are available as optional extras.
Next, you will experience a summer Tundra Tour on our Arctic CrawlersTM to view the beautiful landscape. This tour will be on the same vehicles we use for our fall Tundra Tour. Later that evening after a delectable supper, depending on weather and cloud coverage, it may be possible to see the Northern Lights.
The Cultural and Heritage Tour takes you to Churchill and the surrounding area where you will be exploring various historic sites. These include Cape Merry, an outside tour of the Polar Bear Holding Facility, the wreckage of the famous plane, “Miss Piggy”, and many other historic sites that make Churchill the town it is today.
The weather in the summer can vary quite significantly. It can feel like summer and fall on the same day so both summer and fall clothing is recommended. We recommend packing the following:
• T-shirts and shorts for the summer weather days
• Loose fitting clothing, long socks, closed-toed shoes and a long-sleeved shirt and pants for cooler days or bug days
• A windbreaker/sweatshirt/fall jacket for possible cool days
• Hiking shoes or runners. Stay away from sandals in case of bug days
• Thermal under clothing, a toque (a close-fitting hat covering your ears), mittens or gloves for the boat tours
• A good shade hat, sunglasses, binoculars, camera
• It is wise to bring a good bug spray that contains DEET as the main ingredient
• Spare batteries for each camera type you bring
• Charging cords for laptops, cell phones, tablets
• We also recommend bringing along a small carry-on bag with your absolute necessities just in case your luggage makes it to Churchill after you do